20 Advantages direct mail has over email marketing.
Direct mail vs email marketing? Clients are often asking which is better … direct mail or email marketing? What are the benefits of email marketing? Benefits of direct mail? In my opinion direct mail is more effective than email marketing … due to the inherent direct mail benefits highlighted in this article. Of course direct mail has one major weakness … cost. Email is significantly cheaper. However, while direct mail has a higher front-end, on the back-end direct mail is cheaper when calculating cost per sale.
NOTE: The following presentation relates to prospecting. Email is a very effective medium for communicating and selling customers. However, from the perspective of prospecting … finding new customers … the following presentation indicates direct mail is much more effective.1. HIGHER RESPONSE: When searching for “new” customers, study after study proves direct mail will generate more new customers than email. A recent study by the DMA (Direct Marketing Association) shows direct mail being 10 to 30 times more effective than email.
2. CONSUMERS PREFER DIRECT MAIL OVER EMAIL
An Epsilon study found that over 50% of consumers prefer direct mail over email. And 67% feel direct mail is more personal than the Internet. 70% preferred mail for receiving unsolicited information from unfamiliar companies.
3. MORE TRUSTWORTHY: The Epsilon study also found that 25% of consumers found direct mail offers more trustworthy than email offers.
4. MORE PROSPECTS: Accurate – quality email addresses are very difficult to acquire – mainly because most people do not opt-in for third party offers. For this reason, all email lists are missing the majority of the target. Typically a direct mail list offers 80% more prospects.
5. LESS COMPETITION: More than ever consumers are bombarded with digital offers that they don’t want. Email is now the cluttered option, while direct mail represents the uncluttered option. With direct mail your offer will not get loss in avalanche of competitive offers.
6. SPECIAL – UNIQUE: Unlike the old days when every marketer was using direct mail, these days a mail piece is special and unique. These days it’s not often when someone receives a personalized envelope with a catchy teaser – open me – line. This uniqueness will inherently stimulate more interest from the reader … thus response.
7. LONG SHELF LIFE: The shelf-life of an email offer is measured in seconds, while a direct mail piece can linger on a coffee table for days.